Blogs []
Fresh meat
  • A Coyote at the Dogshow
  • A Pictorial Record of Life in New England
  • Astryngia
  • Burnett's Urban Etiquette
  • Club Troppo
  • Cute Overload
  • Dad's Garage
  • Dennis The peasant
  • Desmoblog
  • Jack Sparks
  • Jennifer Marohasy
  • Larvatus Prodeo
  • Rock'n'Roll Damnation
  • The Engels Empire
  • The Road to Surfdom
  • Veni Vidi Blogi
  • Yorkshire Pudding
  • Zemblan Grammar
  • All the usual suspects
  • A beer sort of blog
  • Across The Pond
  • A Dervish's Du'a'
  • A.E. Brain
  • AGB
  • Alexander the Average
  • American Drifter
  • Arseblog
  • Artopia
  • As Confusion Sets In
  • A Western Heart
  • Baghdad Burning
  • Barista
  • Bastards Inc.
  • Big Words
  • Bills Backers of Virginia
  • Birdparty
  • Bitchin' Monaro
  • Blithering Bunny
  • Blogjam
  • Boring Like A Drill
  • Brave Our Burbs
  • Catallaxy
  • Chapter 5
  • Chez Milady
  • Chicken or the egg
  • Clublife
  • Courting Disaster
  • Crazybrave
  • Culpepper Log
  • Culture Strain
  • Cunt's Corner
  • Currency Lad
  • Daily Flute
  • Dawei
  • Dead Guy, the cartoon
  • Dead Money
  • Eggsbaconchipsandbeans
  • EvilPundit
  • Ferret Nest
  • Flop Eared Mule
  • For Battle
  • Free North Korea
  • Galleycat
  • Gavin Dixon
  • Glorious Leader
  • Harleys, Cars, Girls and Guitars
  • Hecho En Mexico
  • Hog on ice
  • Hooch's Spot
  • Hungbunny
  • I Didn't Mean To, But...
  • Intergalactic Hussy
  • Jack The Ripper and Me
  • Jason Mulgrew
  • Jerry Pournelle
  • Khmer 440
  • Kick 'n Scream
  • Kong is King!
  • Knotted Paths
  • Kurdo's World
  • Landownunder
  • Luscious LaJuana
  • Madhab al-Hirfy
  • Major Anya
  • Man Of Lettuce
  • Mensa Barbie
  • Merawala Thoughts
  • Morsels from my meandering mind
  • Neanderpundit
  • Northcote Knob
  • Operation Eden
  • Paul & Carl's Daily Diatribe
  • People Who Need To Be Glassed
  • Post Secret
  • Prison Pete
  • Professor Bunyip
  • Random ruminations of an antisocial mind
  • Redneck review
  • Russian Marketing
  • Scary Personals
  • Sick, sad world
  • Skippy
  • Soul's road
  • Spreegirl
  • S'truth
  • Supermercado
  • Tavern Wench
  • Tequila Mockingbird
  • Texas Trifles
  • The Blues Blog
  • The Brisbane Window
  • The Dick List
  • The Fat Guy
  • The Line Of Contempt
  • The Public House
  • The ramblings of a redneck Diva
  • There Ain't No Sanity Clause
  • The Spin Starts Here
  • The Time Always Comes
  • Touch My Nibbles
  • Ubersportingpundit
  • Vitriolica Webb's Ite
  • Victim of Narcissism
  • V's spot
  • Waiterrant
  • Watchdog of the Wankers
  • Where Are My Socks?
  • Wicking
  • Yobbo
  • Yorkshire Soul
  • You Have Got To Be Kidding






  • Speedway Standings []
    2006 FIM FIAT VANS BRITISH SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 03.06.06
    1 2 CRUMP, Jason 25
    2 8 JONSSON, Andreas 20
    3 11 HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 18
    4 5 HANCOCK, Greg 16
    5 6 PEDERSEN, Bjarne 12
    6 1 RICKARDSSON, Tony 10
    7 13 ZAGAR, Matej 9
    8 9 NICHOLLS, Scott 8
    9 10 LINDBÄCK, Antonio 8
    10 7 GOLLOB, Tomasz 7
    11 3 ADAMS, Leigh 6
    12 12 RICHARDSON, Lee 5
    13 15 IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 5
    14 4 PEDERSEN, Nicki 4
    15 16 STEAD, Simon 3
    16 14 PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 3


    SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 2006

    1st CRUMP, Jason 20 25 25 25 95
    2nd HANCOCK, Greg 5 20 20 16 61
    3rd PEDERSEN, Nicki 25 14 16 4 59
    4th GOLLOB, Tomasz 18 9 18 7 52
    5th HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 4 16 8 18 46
    6th JONSSON, Andreas 8 5 10 20 43
    7th ZAGAR, Matej 9 18 4 9 40
    8th RICKARDSSON, Tony 16 6 4 10 36
    9th ADAMS, Leigh 10 7 11 6 34
    10th NICHOLLS, Scott 9 9 5 8 31
    11th PEDERSEN, Bjarne 5 6 7 12 30
    12th LINDBÄCK, Antonio 9 2 6 8 25
    13th RICHARDSON, Lee 8 4 0 5 17
    14th IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 2 6 4 5 17
    15th PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 1 3 3 3 10
    16th LINDGREN, Fredrik - - 7 - 7
    17th KASPRZAK, Krzysztof - 6 - - 6
    18th STEAD, Simon - - - 3 3
    19th FERJAN, Matej 3 - - - 3





    Archives []





    Enter your email address below to subscribe to Arm The Insane!


    powered by Bloglet


    I should get one of those IM thingos.I got one of those MSN messenger things. Fucked if I know how it works, but. In the meantime try my new

  • email
  • address. Please.., I'm so lonely.


    I don't know what Clix is, but I'll give it a go.



    Every family needs a farmer


    Wednesday, September 07, 2005

    My Favourite Motorcycles (Part 2)

    (Part 1)
    images enlarge
    We moved from the northern suburbs of Melbourne to a small Gippsland town on April Fool's Day in 1972. "How small was it?" I hear you ask. "Well" I reply, "Our phone number had three digits." My dear old Daddy had purchased the town's only service station and mechanical workshop. It was an old building; or rather, collection of buildings, and filled with stuff. The stuff included a '55 Customline and a '48 Packard (which had the first straight eight engine that I can remember seeing. Dad sold these. Spewin'. However what he didn't sell was one of these:
    Jawa 250 Yes folks, a communist era East European clunky two stroke utilitarian roadster. It sat untouched for a while, then my brother and I decided to see if we could get it going. Turned out that there was nothing much wrong with it. We cleaned up the carby ('cause you always clean up the carby), stuck the oxy up the exhaust pipe to burn out the carbon that was built up in there and fired it up.
    Except that it wouldn't go anywhere. Inspection revealed that the clutch was emotionally stifled and didn't want to appear 'clingy'. Over the pub to hit up the publican for some old corks, which we cut into slices and glued onto the friction plate. Started her up again and this time it moved! Not very fast, but what do you want from about a dozen very small horses?
    Serving suggestion only This is probably a lot neater looking than we managed to get the old girl, but we managed to have more than our fair share of fun terrorizing the area at ungodly speeds (30 - 40 kph).
    Several years later I found another one under a house. This one had been parked and left for no apparent reason. It started, ran and moved with minimal attention required. I had plenty of time on my hands, so I decided to restore it. I had most of the cosmetics done and was on the home stretch when somebody stole it and a friend's bike that I was working on. Don't be shocked. Gentle Reader, but I think some uncouth language may have escaped my lips.
    Jawa-NZIt probably wouldn't have looked like this anyway; mainly because a) it wasn't black and b) this is a Jawa-NZ, not a Jawa-CZ. They were assembled in Un Zud in the late sixties.

    8 Comments:

    Blogger stilt said...

    Bastards. Meanwhile, I assume the goofa isn't getting a mention till part III??

    9/07/2005 12:52:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Cant,
    it was fun. Working on motorcycles used to be half the point of owning them.
    Stilt,
    Goofa?

    9/07/2005 01:30:00 pm  
    Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

    For 3 years I was on the HWP in Philly, and my joy and reason for getting out of bed every morning was the Harley~Davidson Electraglide police-package... My wife (now, re:ex-wife) didn't like me riding it, and coerced me to quit the HWP...

    Funny, when I could actually afford one, I wasn't "allowed" to have one, now I can have anything I want, I can't fucking afford one.

    Cosmic joke on me...

    9/07/2005 05:18:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    I've never owned a Hardly Dangerous. Ridden and worked on a few. I've been giving serious consideration to buying a basket case and playing silly buggers with it. I probably won't, though. It's an admission you're getting old.

    9/07/2005 05:31:00 pm  
    Blogger stilt said...

    Goofa!

    the F2 version of the CBR6 has he 600F in script on the back cowling, and it looks like it says "goof". My goofa now has the carbon fibre can, cause that makes it go faster. and shit.

    9/09/2005 01:56:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Those bikes were pieces of shit.
    True, but they're cheap as far as Harley's go. (H-D's are ridiculously overpriced down here).
    When you're rebuilding them, the original build quality is largely irrelevant.
    Stilt,
    it is with regret that I have to inform you that your application to have the Goofa included in the prestigious 'My Favourite Motorcycles' was unsuccessful. Don't be discouraged, however. I urge you to re-submit your application with a motorcycle of which I am already aware.

    9/09/2005 05:47:00 pm  
    Blogger Stumpy said...

    JAWA

    I mate of mine after surviving WW2 went with his ship on “show the flag world cruise” one place they stopped at was RIO where for the duration of the ships stay he was “La Anglais” riding one of these at the Wall of death at the local fairground.

    He tells me that there was a yellow line up at the top of the wall and if you went higher than that the handlebars would hit the spectators heads as they looked down inside.

    I think he enjoyed that more than chasing the Bismarck

    9/09/2005 05:53:00 pm  
    Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

    Down there? They're ridiculously overpriced here! lol

    9/10/2005 05:19:00 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home