Blogs []
Fresh meat
  • A Coyote at the Dogshow
  • A Pictorial Record of Life in New England
  • Astryngia
  • Burnett's Urban Etiquette
  • Club Troppo
  • Cute Overload
  • Dad's Garage
  • Dennis The peasant
  • Desmoblog
  • Jack Sparks
  • Jennifer Marohasy
  • Larvatus Prodeo
  • Rock'n'Roll Damnation
  • The Engels Empire
  • The Road to Surfdom
  • Veni Vidi Blogi
  • Yorkshire Pudding
  • Zemblan Grammar
  • All the usual suspects
  • A beer sort of blog
  • Across The Pond
  • A Dervish's Du'a'
  • A.E. Brain
  • AGB
  • Alexander the Average
  • American Drifter
  • Arseblog
  • Artopia
  • As Confusion Sets In
  • A Western Heart
  • Baghdad Burning
  • Barista
  • Bastards Inc.
  • Big Words
  • Bills Backers of Virginia
  • Birdparty
  • Bitchin' Monaro
  • Blithering Bunny
  • Blogjam
  • Boring Like A Drill
  • Brave Our Burbs
  • Catallaxy
  • Chapter 5
  • Chez Milady
  • Chicken or the egg
  • Clublife
  • Courting Disaster
  • Crazybrave
  • Culpepper Log
  • Culture Strain
  • Cunt's Corner
  • Currency Lad
  • Daily Flute
  • Dawei
  • Dead Guy, the cartoon
  • Dead Money
  • Eggsbaconchipsandbeans
  • EvilPundit
  • Ferret Nest
  • Flop Eared Mule
  • For Battle
  • Free North Korea
  • Galleycat
  • Gavin Dixon
  • Glorious Leader
  • Harleys, Cars, Girls and Guitars
  • Hecho En Mexico
  • Hog on ice
  • Hooch's Spot
  • Hungbunny
  • I Didn't Mean To, But...
  • Intergalactic Hussy
  • Jack The Ripper and Me
  • Jason Mulgrew
  • Jerry Pournelle
  • Khmer 440
  • Kick 'n Scream
  • Kong is King!
  • Knotted Paths
  • Kurdo's World
  • Landownunder
  • Luscious LaJuana
  • Madhab al-Hirfy
  • Major Anya
  • Man Of Lettuce
  • Mensa Barbie
  • Merawala Thoughts
  • Morsels from my meandering mind
  • Neanderpundit
  • Northcote Knob
  • Operation Eden
  • Paul & Carl's Daily Diatribe
  • People Who Need To Be Glassed
  • Post Secret
  • Prison Pete
  • Professor Bunyip
  • Random ruminations of an antisocial mind
  • Redneck review
  • Russian Marketing
  • Scary Personals
  • Sick, sad world
  • Skippy
  • Soul's road
  • Spreegirl
  • S'truth
  • Supermercado
  • Tavern Wench
  • Tequila Mockingbird
  • Texas Trifles
  • The Blues Blog
  • The Brisbane Window
  • The Dick List
  • The Fat Guy
  • The Line Of Contempt
  • The Public House
  • The ramblings of a redneck Diva
  • There Ain't No Sanity Clause
  • The Spin Starts Here
  • The Time Always Comes
  • Touch My Nibbles
  • Ubersportingpundit
  • Vitriolica Webb's Ite
  • Victim of Narcissism
  • V's spot
  • Waiterrant
  • Watchdog of the Wankers
  • Where Are My Socks?
  • Wicking
  • Yobbo
  • Yorkshire Soul
  • You Have Got To Be Kidding






  • Speedway Standings []
    2006 FIM FIAT VANS BRITISH SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 03.06.06
    1 2 CRUMP, Jason 25
    2 8 JONSSON, Andreas 20
    3 11 HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 18
    4 5 HANCOCK, Greg 16
    5 6 PEDERSEN, Bjarne 12
    6 1 RICKARDSSON, Tony 10
    7 13 ZAGAR, Matej 9
    8 9 NICHOLLS, Scott 8
    9 10 LINDBÄCK, Antonio 8
    10 7 GOLLOB, Tomasz 7
    11 3 ADAMS, Leigh 6
    12 12 RICHARDSON, Lee 5
    13 15 IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 5
    14 4 PEDERSEN, Nicki 4
    15 16 STEAD, Simon 3
    16 14 PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 3


    SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 2006

    1st CRUMP, Jason 20 25 25 25 95
    2nd HANCOCK, Greg 5 20 20 16 61
    3rd PEDERSEN, Nicki 25 14 16 4 59
    4th GOLLOB, Tomasz 18 9 18 7 52
    5th HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 4 16 8 18 46
    6th JONSSON, Andreas 8 5 10 20 43
    7th ZAGAR, Matej 9 18 4 9 40
    8th RICKARDSSON, Tony 16 6 4 10 36
    9th ADAMS, Leigh 10 7 11 6 34
    10th NICHOLLS, Scott 9 9 5 8 31
    11th PEDERSEN, Bjarne 5 6 7 12 30
    12th LINDBÄCK, Antonio 9 2 6 8 25
    13th RICHARDSON, Lee 8 4 0 5 17
    14th IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 2 6 4 5 17
    15th PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 1 3 3 3 10
    16th LINDGREN, Fredrik - - 7 - 7
    17th KASPRZAK, Krzysztof - 6 - - 6
    18th STEAD, Simon - - - 3 3
    19th FERJAN, Matej 3 - - - 3





    Archives []





    Enter your email address below to subscribe to Arm The Insane!


    powered by Bloglet


    I should get one of those IM thingos.I got one of those MSN messenger things. Fucked if I know how it works, but. In the meantime try my new

  • email
  • address. Please.., I'm so lonely.


    I don't know what Clix is, but I'll give it a go.



    Every family needs a farmer


    Monday, August 29, 2005

    Killer Cattle

    We got cows. Well actually, we don't got cows, we got steers. About 2500 of them altogether, with most breeds represented from time to time. All the breeds can be cranky buggers at some stage or other, but not all the breeds are the same.
    Insert segue here
    The Young Bloke got crowned today. He was helping The Boss put a pen of cattle through the scales before they were trucked out so that they could take out the ones that didn't make the contracted weight. He was walking a few steers into the forcing yard when one of the steers decided that forcing could work both ways and gently nudged the gate into the Young Bloke, giving him a mild concussion and a free trip to hospital for a few stitches to the noggin. Which meant that I had to get out my nice cozy (climate-controlled) tractor and help them weigh the cattle. As usual, I was down 'the dumb end'. Which means that I was the bunny who was actually in the yards with the cattle, pushing them up. Now before I started here, I'd done very little cattle work. In fact, you could have written everything I knew about handling cattle on the back of a postcard with a blunt crayon. Whereas these days you'd have to sharpen the crayon. So now I'm going to share some of my wisdom with you. (I survived the ordeal unscathed, BTW. Thanks for asking.)
    Firstly, don't do what the Young Bloke did and stand behind a gate as you are closing it. I did the same thing about eight years ago, with much the same effect; except that I am a Rough, Tough Outback Bloke TM, therefore used masking tape instead of stitches. I suppose if I was trading on my looks like Brad Pitt* I would have got a couple of stitches, but, meh. Whilst on the subject of gates, I have a bad habit which could end in tears - or broken bones. When I am pushing a gate shut against the resistance offered by cattle, I 'lock' my elbows. I have heard of several sprained and broken wrists and elbows when a beast lunges at the gate and the person on the gate is too slow to give way.
    Second, never stand directly behind a beast when you are in the yards with them, particularly in a cramped situation. Those buggers have got a pretty good kick thing going on... You wouldn't believe how much of your thigh the bruise from one kick can cover, or how much it hurts. The gates in the yards are eight feet wide, five steel rails high. I had a beast kick one off its hinges on top of me (somebody forgot to pin the top of the hinges) .
    Apart from that, there isn't much to know. Don't bother trying to watch all of them, you'd go nuts. Providing you are not encroaching on their space, they are pretty placid animals. There is generally a ringleader or two in every herd, these will generally be infused with Bos Indicus blood; I'll tell you why in a minute. Watch these and look out for any skittish animals, there's always a few that will kick or charge for no apparent reason, but if you are alert they present no real difficulty unless they get ahead of the rest, reach a closed gate and come back at you. If you see a beast skip ahead in the yards, try and push the rest of the mob to keep up with it. You do this for two reasons, first if you can get them all through the gate before the greyhound has a chance to turn; problem averted. Second, if the leader does turn, you can use the mob to block, or at least slow him. Some of those buggers will run straight over you if given the chance, even when you give them plenty of room to pass you by. Shane Webcke can't throw a shoulder charge like these blokes. I had one yak beast a few months ago who didn't like the forcing yard. He'd run up ahead, see the forcing yard and run straight back through the mob. My usual procedure when this happens is to let them run back and pick them up in the next mob. Trouble is, this bugger did it three times in a row. So I thought that I would put him in there by himself. He got to the forcing yard, turned, ran three steps and stopped, for I was on the opposite side of the pound. Armed with my trusty whacking stick (a three foot length of orange plastic electrical conduit) I faced my foe. He put his head down and pawed the ground, preparatory to doing the Harry again, so I whacked him across the nose - again and again and again... It took a couple of minutes (or so it seemed) but I walked him backwards into the forcing yard. Trouble was, I couldn't shut the gate, because he would have bolted while I was doing it, so I had to get the young bloke to shut me in the yard with him, then vault the fence. Bastard butted me in the leg while I was escaping. Can't blame him I s'pose. Still, all that trouble could have been avoided if he had of turned around.
    Another thing to remember, all cattle breeds are not created equal; generally speaking, Bos Indicus(or African) breeds like Brahmans and Afrikanders, or those that are infused with Bos Indicus blood, like Santa Gertrudis or Droughtmasters, are more intelligent than breeds with pure Bos Taurus (or European) breeds like Herefords and Angus. Cattle seem to recognise this, so in a mob of mixed breeds, the yaks generally set the pattern. They also get cranky quicker when they are cooped up than the Europeans do. One thing which I have found that works when they are getting set to do their 'nana in the race is to give their back a rub and talk to them like they are puppy dogs. It makes everybody else laugh when I do it, but it works - on yaks, anyway.
    Angus cattle are shifty, sly little buggers, more likely to kick than all the other breeds combined, you've gotta watch'em.
    Charolais are stupid. Dumb as dogshit, in fact. I'm not talking some overachieving Golden Lab seeing-eye dog doo-doo, either; I mean the canine equivalent of the supermodel, good to look at but nothing else, too stupid to scratch themselves Afghan Hound** poop.
    P.S. The Young Bloke is shaping up nicely as a Rough, Tough Outback Bloke TM, he was back at work this afternoon.

    * i was going to put an Australian name here, but I couldn't think of an Australian who has the same universal ability to make women frothy at the fork - if you'll pardon my euphemism
    **Actually, Afghan Hounds are better looking than most supermodels. What's so attractive about a woman who doesn't look like she's had a decent meal since primary school? Apart from being thin, tall and vacant, these women are nothing unusual to look at. In fact most of them are dingo ugly.

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Lindsey said...

    it sounds like you've got a dangerous job...you wouldn't be able to get me in with a bunch of steer. Screw that...I have no interest in getting stabbed with horns.

    8/30/2005 04:17:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Not many of them have horns, Linny. We de-horn the ones that do.
    Apart from anything else, the horns could easily do some damage to the other steers.

    8/30/2005 04:45:00 pm  
    Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

    When I lived in Arizona it was all cattle country. But it also was "Free Range".

    That means it's the property owner's responsibility to fence them OUT, not the cattle rancher's to fence them IN.

    So, needless to say, you could be driving down the road one day, come up over a hill and have a herd of 200 or more beef cattle in the road. I almost nailed a calf one day with my F-250 like that.

    Free veal!

    Anyway, I had 28 acres, but not all of it fenced. I only had a paddock for my horses that was fenced. One day I come home from work and here is a whole herd of cows in my driveway. And a cow calving right in front of me.

    The wouldn't move and I had to leave my truck where it was and walk around the herd to my house.

    What a royal pain in the ass.

    8/30/2005 05:32:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Ranger,
    it's much the sam way around here; the paddocks are fenced, but the roads aren't. With the result - especially in winter when the road is the warmest thing around - that there are a lot of furry chicanes wandering around.

    8/31/2005 05:10:00 pm  
    Blogger stilt said...

    why you calling dingos "ugly"? At least they look like they were roughly designed / evolved for their job, unlike our stupermodel friends.

    Gotta love a poll hereford - nice and slow / stupid. Even the bulls aren't too agro outside of breeding season.

    9/07/2005 12:39:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Gotta love a poll hereford - nice and slow / stupid.
    Yup.
    Santa Gertrudis are prettier though.
    And dingo's are hollow gutted, rangy rib protruding devourers of defenceless prey. Seems like a pretty good analogy to me.

    9/07/2005 01:35:00 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home