Blogs []
Fresh meat
  • A Coyote at the Dogshow
  • A Pictorial Record of Life in New England
  • Astryngia
  • Burnett's Urban Etiquette
  • Club Troppo
  • Cute Overload
  • Dad's Garage
  • Dennis The peasant
  • Desmoblog
  • Jack Sparks
  • Jennifer Marohasy
  • Larvatus Prodeo
  • Rock'n'Roll Damnation
  • The Engels Empire
  • The Road to Surfdom
  • Veni Vidi Blogi
  • Yorkshire Pudding
  • Zemblan Grammar
  • All the usual suspects
  • A beer sort of blog
  • Across The Pond
  • A Dervish's Du'a'
  • A.E. Brain
  • AGB
  • Alexander the Average
  • American Drifter
  • Arseblog
  • Artopia
  • As Confusion Sets In
  • A Western Heart
  • Baghdad Burning
  • Barista
  • Bastards Inc.
  • Big Words
  • Bills Backers of Virginia
  • Birdparty
  • Bitchin' Monaro
  • Blithering Bunny
  • Blogjam
  • Boring Like A Drill
  • Brave Our Burbs
  • Catallaxy
  • Chapter 5
  • Chez Milady
  • Chicken or the egg
  • Clublife
  • Courting Disaster
  • Crazybrave
  • Culpepper Log
  • Culture Strain
  • Cunt's Corner
  • Currency Lad
  • Daily Flute
  • Dawei
  • Dead Guy, the cartoon
  • Dead Money
  • Eggsbaconchipsandbeans
  • EvilPundit
  • Ferret Nest
  • Flop Eared Mule
  • For Battle
  • Free North Korea
  • Galleycat
  • Gavin Dixon
  • Glorious Leader
  • Harleys, Cars, Girls and Guitars
  • Hecho En Mexico
  • Hog on ice
  • Hooch's Spot
  • Hungbunny
  • I Didn't Mean To, But...
  • Intergalactic Hussy
  • Jack The Ripper and Me
  • Jason Mulgrew
  • Jerry Pournelle
  • Khmer 440
  • Kick 'n Scream
  • Kong is King!
  • Knotted Paths
  • Kurdo's World
  • Landownunder
  • Luscious LaJuana
  • Madhab al-Hirfy
  • Major Anya
  • Man Of Lettuce
  • Mensa Barbie
  • Merawala Thoughts
  • Morsels from my meandering mind
  • Neanderpundit
  • Northcote Knob
  • Operation Eden
  • Paul & Carl's Daily Diatribe
  • People Who Need To Be Glassed
  • Post Secret
  • Prison Pete
  • Professor Bunyip
  • Random ruminations of an antisocial mind
  • Redneck review
  • Russian Marketing
  • Scary Personals
  • Sick, sad world
  • Skippy
  • Soul's road
  • Spreegirl
  • S'truth
  • Supermercado
  • Tavern Wench
  • Tequila Mockingbird
  • Texas Trifles
  • The Blues Blog
  • The Brisbane Window
  • The Dick List
  • The Fat Guy
  • The Line Of Contempt
  • The Public House
  • The ramblings of a redneck Diva
  • There Ain't No Sanity Clause
  • The Spin Starts Here
  • The Time Always Comes
  • Touch My Nibbles
  • Ubersportingpundit
  • Vitriolica Webb's Ite
  • Victim of Narcissism
  • V's spot
  • Waiterrant
  • Watchdog of the Wankers
  • Where Are My Socks?
  • Wicking
  • Yobbo
  • Yorkshire Soul
  • You Have Got To Be Kidding






  • Speedway Standings []
    2006 FIM FIAT VANS BRITISH SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 03.06.06
    1 2 CRUMP, Jason 25
    2 8 JONSSON, Andreas 20
    3 11 HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 18
    4 5 HANCOCK, Greg 16
    5 6 PEDERSEN, Bjarne 12
    6 1 RICKARDSSON, Tony 10
    7 13 ZAGAR, Matej 9
    8 9 NICHOLLS, Scott 8
    9 10 LINDBÄCK, Antonio 8
    10 7 GOLLOB, Tomasz 7
    11 3 ADAMS, Leigh 6
    12 12 RICHARDSON, Lee 5
    13 15 IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 5
    14 4 PEDERSEN, Nicki 4
    15 16 STEAD, Simon 3
    16 14 PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 3


    SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 2006

    1st CRUMP, Jason 20 25 25 25 95
    2nd HANCOCK, Greg 5 20 20 16 61
    3rd PEDERSEN, Nicki 25 14 16 4 59
    4th GOLLOB, Tomasz 18 9 18 7 52
    5th HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 4 16 8 18 46
    6th JONSSON, Andreas 8 5 10 20 43
    7th ZAGAR, Matej 9 18 4 9 40
    8th RICKARDSSON, Tony 16 6 4 10 36
    9th ADAMS, Leigh 10 7 11 6 34
    10th NICHOLLS, Scott 9 9 5 8 31
    11th PEDERSEN, Bjarne 5 6 7 12 30
    12th LINDBÄCK, Antonio 9 2 6 8 25
    13th RICHARDSON, Lee 8 4 0 5 17
    14th IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 2 6 4 5 17
    15th PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 1 3 3 3 10
    16th LINDGREN, Fredrik - - 7 - 7
    17th KASPRZAK, Krzysztof - 6 - - 6
    18th STEAD, Simon - - - 3 3
    19th FERJAN, Matej 3 - - - 3





    Archives []





    Enter your email address below to subscribe to Arm The Insane!


    powered by Bloglet


    I should get one of those IM thingos.I got one of those MSN messenger things. Fucked if I know how it works, but. In the meantime try my new

  • email
  • address. Please.., I'm so lonely.


    I don't know what Clix is, but I'll give it a go.



    Every family needs a farmer


    Friday, May 20, 2005

    Footy

    People have differing opinions of football (I'm talking about aussie rules here, all other codes have glaring deficiencies), for some people it is a complete waste of time. Some people actually find it offensive. Others think that the world was created as a stage for football to be played on (I know that sentence is structurally unsound, but I don't care, I don't do grammar). The majority are somewhere in between.
    In the days of my youth (when the sun was always shining and the magic lantern show was only a farthing) I was something of a football fanatic. I lived and breathed football. I was in training eleven months of the year. I worked harder at football than I have worked at anything before or since. I wasn't very good, it took me until my twenties to realise this. I made rep teams regularly, mainly because I was fitter (and smarter) than most bush footballers, but I was never going to get any further.
    I wasn't upset when it finally dawned on me that I was doomed to the bush leagues, I had fun while it lasted. I tried coaching but I couldn't understand that most people just didn't want to work as hard as I did; foolish people, enjoying themselves.
    Likewise people have differing reasons for supporting their chosen clubs. Some are born into it, either through location or through belonging to a dynasty of, say Collingwood supporters. Some people are followers of success (witness the explosion of Essendon barrackers in the Sheedy years), still others have their club chosen for them. My father, f'rinstance, grew up in a bush town in the thirties. His family shifted to the northern suburbs of Melbourne in the late thirties. At school he was asked who he followed in the VFL. He'd never heard of the VFL. They told him to follow Geelong as a joke. He's been following them ever since. Another bloke I know, a ten-pound-tourist, was thrown to the ground on his first day of school. His attacker knelt on his chest, grabbed him by the ears and, as he belted his head into the ground, chanted "Barrack for The Bloods, barrack for The Bloods!" He's followed the Swans for thirty odd years now.
    As for myself, in my childhood I made the decision to follow Essendon. I could tell you that this was because our local club played in the Essendon and District Football League, but that would be a lie. I was just copying my older brother, which I did in everything. This habit of mine embarrassed my brother so, in my first year of school, when the footy season started he banned me from supporting Essendon. Essendon were playing Carlton that week, so I decided to follow Carlton out of spite. Carlton beat them, then went on to win the premiership. Yay us. I only found out when I was nine years old that I was born in Carlton.
    So, for thirty six years I've been following Carlton. There won't be a thirty seventh. This weekend Carlton plays it's last game at Princes Park, after playing there since before the VFL was formed. I have been steadily losing interest in the VFL/AFL ever since the eighties when South Melbourne became The Swans. This continued when the push to get rid of Fitzroy was on, ditto Footscray (at least they survived). I think a national competition is a good idea, I just don't like the way they have done it. I don't understand why we have to sacrifice tradition in order to expand.
    lets face it, how many Melbourne players were born in the CBD, how many Hawks come from within spitting distance of Glenferrie road. Without any ties to a given area through its personnel, the only way of differing between clubs is the location of their home grounds. Without a base in their nominal homeland a club becomes generic. It is becomes a choice between different colour Holdens; they're all Holdens.
    I had more to say, but I've got to go to work.

    8 Comments:

    Blogger adrian said...

    Yeah, 'generic' being the operative word. Now cars are born in wind-tunnels and clubs are hatched in accountant offices.

    One may as well pick the club with the sexiest cheergirls, given today's players are largely money-driven journeymen.

    Loyality ? What a novel concept.

    5/20/2005 04:34:00 am  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    One may as well pick the club with the sexiest cheergirls
    I do miss the Bluebirds.



    Loyality ? What a novel concept.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Ashley Cole, an Arsenal player in the English Premier League, is on $65,000 per week. He wants a 300% pay rise.

    5/20/2005 03:41:00 pm  
    Blogger rat said...

    amusing isn't it. even at my shitty level we see it though. kids with skills go looking for the money. usually though, they get screwed around and jaded with the whole affair. pity they end up with other teams though.
    one of my best mates got the shits with the soccer scene in a team in his town, so he offered to run it, built it up, built a bit of team spirit and will to succeed, and took the whole damn team to the next level.
    if they do that here though, i'll be carrying drinks :-)

    5/20/2005 08:23:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Rat,
    i knew blokes in the early eighties who were getting paid $500 per week, in tyhe bush.

    5/21/2005 02:11:00 am  
    Blogger rat said...

    shit, that's pretty good.

    5/21/2005 08:05:00 am  
    Blogger Tony said...

    I got paid 250 a week in the bush and they paid my rent which was 200 a week. They also found me a job which paid about 20 bucks an hour which was pretty good in 1988. They also paid my travelling back to Perth when we had byes.

    6/02/2005 02:51:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    What were you renting Tone, a cattle station? $200pw got you a fair sort of residence in 1988, especially in the bush.
    For myself, the best I ever did was $200pw, with a few beers here and there.
    I had a fairly serious offer from a QAFL club which was substantially better, but I was still at the stage where I would follow my dick off a cliff and the significant other of the time couldn't relocate.

    6/02/2005 03:14:00 pm  
    Blogger Tony said...

    Surprisingly, the rent in WA mining towns was really high back then. Dunno what it's like now, though.

    6/02/2005 06:11:00 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home