Blogs []
Fresh meat
  • A Coyote at the Dogshow
  • A Pictorial Record of Life in New England
  • Astryngia
  • Burnett's Urban Etiquette
  • Club Troppo
  • Cute Overload
  • Dad's Garage
  • Dennis The peasant
  • Desmoblog
  • Jack Sparks
  • Jennifer Marohasy
  • Larvatus Prodeo
  • Rock'n'Roll Damnation
  • The Engels Empire
  • The Road to Surfdom
  • Veni Vidi Blogi
  • Yorkshire Pudding
  • Zemblan Grammar
  • All the usual suspects
  • A beer sort of blog
  • Across The Pond
  • A Dervish's Du'a'
  • A.E. Brain
  • AGB
  • Alexander the Average
  • American Drifter
  • Arseblog
  • Artopia
  • As Confusion Sets In
  • A Western Heart
  • Baghdad Burning
  • Barista
  • Bastards Inc.
  • Big Words
  • Bills Backers of Virginia
  • Birdparty
  • Bitchin' Monaro
  • Blithering Bunny
  • Blogjam
  • Boring Like A Drill
  • Brave Our Burbs
  • Catallaxy
  • Chapter 5
  • Chez Milady
  • Chicken or the egg
  • Clublife
  • Courting Disaster
  • Crazybrave
  • Culpepper Log
  • Culture Strain
  • Cunt's Corner
  • Currency Lad
  • Daily Flute
  • Dawei
  • Dead Guy, the cartoon
  • Dead Money
  • Eggsbaconchipsandbeans
  • EvilPundit
  • Ferret Nest
  • Flop Eared Mule
  • For Battle
  • Free North Korea
  • Galleycat
  • Gavin Dixon
  • Glorious Leader
  • Harleys, Cars, Girls and Guitars
  • Hecho En Mexico
  • Hog on ice
  • Hooch's Spot
  • Hungbunny
  • I Didn't Mean To, But...
  • Intergalactic Hussy
  • Jack The Ripper and Me
  • Jason Mulgrew
  • Jerry Pournelle
  • Khmer 440
  • Kick 'n Scream
  • Kong is King!
  • Knotted Paths
  • Kurdo's World
  • Landownunder
  • Luscious LaJuana
  • Madhab al-Hirfy
  • Major Anya
  • Man Of Lettuce
  • Mensa Barbie
  • Merawala Thoughts
  • Morsels from my meandering mind
  • Neanderpundit
  • Northcote Knob
  • Operation Eden
  • Paul & Carl's Daily Diatribe
  • People Who Need To Be Glassed
  • Post Secret
  • Prison Pete
  • Professor Bunyip
  • Random ruminations of an antisocial mind
  • Redneck review
  • Russian Marketing
  • Scary Personals
  • Sick, sad world
  • Skippy
  • Soul's road
  • Spreegirl
  • S'truth
  • Supermercado
  • Tavern Wench
  • Tequila Mockingbird
  • Texas Trifles
  • The Blues Blog
  • The Brisbane Window
  • The Dick List
  • The Fat Guy
  • The Line Of Contempt
  • The Public House
  • The ramblings of a redneck Diva
  • There Ain't No Sanity Clause
  • The Spin Starts Here
  • The Time Always Comes
  • Touch My Nibbles
  • Ubersportingpundit
  • Vitriolica Webb's Ite
  • Victim of Narcissism
  • V's spot
  • Waiterrant
  • Watchdog of the Wankers
  • Where Are My Socks?
  • Wicking
  • Yobbo
  • Yorkshire Soul
  • You Have Got To Be Kidding






  • Speedway Standings []
    2006 FIM FIAT VANS BRITISH SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 03.06.06
    1 2 CRUMP, Jason 25
    2 8 JONSSON, Andreas 20
    3 11 HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 18
    4 5 HANCOCK, Greg 16
    5 6 PEDERSEN, Bjarne 12
    6 1 RICKARDSSON, Tony 10
    7 13 ZAGAR, Matej 9
    8 9 NICHOLLS, Scott 8
    9 10 LINDBÄCK, Antonio 8
    10 7 GOLLOB, Tomasz 7
    11 3 ADAMS, Leigh 6
    12 12 RICHARDSON, Lee 5
    13 15 IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 5
    14 4 PEDERSEN, Nicki 4
    15 16 STEAD, Simon 3
    16 14 PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 3


    SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 2006

    1st CRUMP, Jason 20 25 25 25 95
    2nd HANCOCK, Greg 5 20 20 16 61
    3rd PEDERSEN, Nicki 25 14 16 4 59
    4th GOLLOB, Tomasz 18 9 18 7 52
    5th HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 4 16 8 18 46
    6th JONSSON, Andreas 8 5 10 20 43
    7th ZAGAR, Matej 9 18 4 9 40
    8th RICKARDSSON, Tony 16 6 4 10 36
    9th ADAMS, Leigh 10 7 11 6 34
    10th NICHOLLS, Scott 9 9 5 8 31
    11th PEDERSEN, Bjarne 5 6 7 12 30
    12th LINDBÄCK, Antonio 9 2 6 8 25
    13th RICHARDSON, Lee 8 4 0 5 17
    14th IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 2 6 4 5 17
    15th PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 1 3 3 3 10
    16th LINDGREN, Fredrik - - 7 - 7
    17th KASPRZAK, Krzysztof - 6 - - 6
    18th STEAD, Simon - - - 3 3
    19th FERJAN, Matej 3 - - - 3





    Archives []





    Enter your email address below to subscribe to Arm The Insane!


    powered by Bloglet


    I should get one of those IM thingos.I got one of those MSN messenger things. Fucked if I know how it works, but. In the meantime try my new

  • email
  • address. Please.., I'm so lonely.


    I don't know what Clix is, but I'll give it a go.



    Every family needs a farmer


    Thursday, May 19, 2005

    The Yartz

    This could turn out to be long-winded and rambling, so I'll summarise it here:
    Artists are parasites; pretentious, self serving fuckwits.
    Here endeth the summary.

    I don't like artists. Which is to say, I don't like anybody who describes themself as an artist, like it's some sort of badge of merit. People who think that making pictures or sculptures, or getting about on stage pretending to be someone else somehow makes them into superior beings beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.
    When I am in a position to do so, I am a fairly regular gallery visitor, a less regular theatergoer and a very rare attender of (classical) concerts. I have never attended an opera and have no intention of doing so in the future - why anybody would actually pay to go and listen to somebody be in agony in a foreign language is beyond me. At galleries I am ignored, at theatres and concerts I am treated as if I am retarded. Why? Because I dress for these occasions pretty much the same way as if I were going to the pub to see a band. I don't do Art-speak. I don't have a clique or coterie of admirers. Worst of all - I go there to be entertained.
    I don't want to get cramp in the frontal lobe trying to decipher some sort of obscure message hidden in the subtext of a stilted script. If I don't understand the imagery of having 128 bricks all stacked neatly on the floor* then the fault lies with you, not me. I am, at least according to four separate IQ tests conducted during my schooldays, a genius. Officially. Therefore if I don't 'get it' it's your fault. Even if I did 'get it', so what? It's still 128 bricks. How is that 'art'?
    I think the rot set in when art ceased to be self-funding (although that wouldn't explain Ken Done or Bryce Courtenay). When painters, writers etc., had to actually provide something that somebody would pay for it provided a stimulus to excellence. These days artists aspire to come up with an idea for something new to put on an arts grant application.
    On a different front; why is it that in popular music cover bands are nearly at the bottom of the heap, but in 'classical' music, my tax dollars are going to subsidise the equivalent of cover bands so that some bunch of poonces from South Yarra and Double Bay (all with seven figure incomes) can go and whinge about welfare cheats during the intermission?
    And the next time I'm in a conversation with anybody in these industries and they start crapping on in any way about their 'art' I'm going to kick them in the nuts. If they are female, I'll pour cashews down their knickers, then I'll kick'em in the nuts. Fuck I hate artists.
    When I was eight years old my brother and I went to stay at my Aunt Em's house for a week. Em's (late) husband was a fairly big time barrister who had represented a few arts-types and so my Aunt knew a few of them. She was invited to a dinner party by one of them which took place during our visit so she brought us along. A few weeks earlier some dickhead (which may have been the host of the party, I don't actually know) had dumped a dead cow at the front of the National Gallery in Melbourne to protest against meat eating. The dinner party was getting close to the eating dinner stage of the party when the host announced that there would be chicken available for those that want it. I imagine this caused quite a bit of discussion, but I don't remember any. A little while later some of the host's lackeys brought out about a dozen (live) chooks in a long wire cage which they laid in the centre of the table. The host announced that anybody who wanted chicken for dinner should select which one they wanted and then kill it. He probably had a smirk on his face. It was probably wiped off when, after a brief discussion, my brother picked out the chook we had selected, holding it by the body. I grabbed the head. He twisted one way, I twisted the other.
    My Aunt still thinks it was the funniest thing she has ever seen. We didn't stay for dessert.
    *Actual exhibit in (I think) the Tate Gallery.

    14 Comments:

    Blogger rat said...

    now that would be the funniest. i don't spose they cooked it for you after you wrung it's neck though

    5/19/2005 06:21:00 am  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Rat,
    we did have chook for tea. Aunt Em bought it for us on the way home.

    5/19/2005 03:52:00 pm  
    Blogger Stumpy said...

    Artists, Art teachers they will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes, that’s what I tell the art teacher at the Skool. You only do art because no one would give you a real job.
    Mind you he did give me a nice big picture of Comrade Lenin that now hangs in my office alongside the Print of the ‘Battle of Rourke’s Drift’.

    I often wonder if those art types who are now winging about the state of the hospitals and the roads can recall Comrade Keating’s remark ‘ The Arts are just as important than roads and hospitals’

    Well I know what he was after……..

    5/19/2005 10:30:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Stumpy,
    you could provide a personal doctor to every single person currently waiting in a casualty ward if you made the yartz self-funding.

    5/20/2005 02:26:00 am  
    Blogger FXH said...

    I'll pass your little rant on to my wife who is an artist. She also work out with weights most days at a gym and is buffed and fit and about 5'11".

    I'll also pass it on to my son who is an artist and a musician, in fact I'll pass it on to his whole band. 3 of them work out at the gym, and are built like short brick shithouses my son also takes boxing lessons, but he's skinny and 6'2", fast on his feet and a looong reach and a nice left hook - you know - float like a butterfly etc....

    Let me know when you are visiting down here. I give you about 3 rounds with any of them.

    Oh btw - I'm with you on the cover bands bit.

    5/22/2005 06:03:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    So that's where my tax dollars are going. BTW, which one of them is bullet-proof?

    5/23/2005 01:58:00 am  
    Blogger Stumpy said...

    I was going to post a concise witty reply but Dirk has done it for me.

    I also object to the public purse paying for professional athletes for selected sports.

    I might add that I have been selected on an Australian team no less than 3 times and I have paid everything with no government support whatever.

    If I can do this for my sport, Artists should be able to do this for their art.

    I am just annoyed that people can do the thing that they love and get paid for it.

    5/23/2005 04:23:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Stumpy,
    I don't mind that they are doing what they love and getting paid for it; every job I've ever had I've enjoyed - except one - what annoys me is the way that the vast majority of them believe that by doing this job (and that is all it is) they are somehow superior to the great unwashed. Even though it is the great unwashed who is paying them. This is the age of accountability - they should be made accountable.

    5/24/2005 02:41:00 am  
    Blogger FXH said...

    The great unwashed has never ever paid my artist family a dollar. But my family pays for sports bludgers and sacred farmers subsidies every day.

    5/24/2005 08:23:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    FXH,
    congratulations on being self-supporting. So am I. So is this farm.
    What's your point?
    BTW; No more threats?

    5/25/2005 01:55:00 am  
    Blogger FXH said...

    sorry dirk - I'm usually prety civilized. I just had an attack of the extreme grumps as I get sick of people spitting on the arts whilst sports are open slather for subsidies.

    5/25/2005 10:26:00 am  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    No worries. I tend to agree with you regarding subsidies in general. I don't understand why people get subsidies to play games and too many farmers want to be subsidised for making poor management decisions.

    5/25/2005 02:51:00 pm  
    Blogger Stumpy said...

    Mr Doull,

    Most people won’t speak up about it, as the reaction from those with their noses in the trough is to
    1. Get all their media mates to howl you down
    2. Infer that as you don’t appear to understand what it’s all about you are therefore an untermensch whose opinion they neither wish to hear or care about (this I think is what Dirk is on about) but hey keep that cash coming.
    3. As the feeding frenzy of arse licking and back scratching in the Arts industry continues the shock of loosing that Grant is everything that is to them worth defending and ranks are closed in defence as they see the need to fool the public the Comrades stand shoulder to shoulder ‘to the barricades mon brave’
    4. Finally they resort to threats of violence and legal action

    What I find really offensive are these adds for competitions and grants for young people 18 – 24 I feel it leads them to have an unreal expectation of life I don’t hold with their dreams (perhaps because I have none of my own)

    Dirk, I have enjoyed all my jobs and have benefited from the experience that I have received from them, what I don’t like are some of the pay rates!

    Jobs I’ve had

    Trained as a printer
    Worked as a Mechanic
    Professional Culler
    Truck Driver
    Builders Labourer
    Carpenter
    Mercenary
    Retail Assistant
    Fencer
    Gardener
    Writer
    General Assistant

    No government grants there.

    FXH I wish that I had your family’s skill at time management I could never find the time to hold down a job, play in a band and go to the Gym. I take my hat of to them.

    5/25/2005 09:13:00 pm  
    Blogger Dirk said...

    Mr Doull,
    it isn't really the quality of the subsidised art that annoys me. Nor do I care overly much about the artistic process. I'm sure that it's very complex and requires a great deal of talent. So does being a software developer. Or growing cotton. You can't get a grant to do either of them. Nor do you have large groups of software developers/cottongrowers/other occupations gathered together to tell each other how superior they are to the people who don't develop software/ grow cotton.
    Trouble is no-one can be bothered getting involved in the process except a few VCA malcontents with sex issues or race issues (pah, boring as batshit and half as handy) and the usual run of goddess-crazy dykes.

    I don't know what the VCA is, but I agree with you.
    I don't blame the orchestras for being subsidised - if the gubment waved a cheque at me I'd take it. I don't see why this form of entertainment is subsidised though. If the people want to pay for Barnesy tribute bands, then let them. If enough people would prefer orchestral music (I don't really like the term classical music - the only thing classical about it is the instruments it is played on) it will pay for itself.
    Stumpy,
    you've had nearly as many jobs as I have.
    I particularly agree with point number two.

    5/26/2005 03:24:00 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home