Blogs []
Fresh meat
  • A Coyote at the Dogshow
  • A Pictorial Record of Life in New England
  • Astryngia
  • Burnett's Urban Etiquette
  • Club Troppo
  • Cute Overload
  • Dad's Garage
  • Dennis The peasant
  • Desmoblog
  • Jack Sparks
  • Jennifer Marohasy
  • Larvatus Prodeo
  • Rock'n'Roll Damnation
  • The Engels Empire
  • The Road to Surfdom
  • Veni Vidi Blogi
  • Yorkshire Pudding
  • Zemblan Grammar
  • All the usual suspects
  • A beer sort of blog
  • Across The Pond
  • A Dervish's Du'a'
  • A.E. Brain
  • AGB
  • Alexander the Average
  • American Drifter
  • Arseblog
  • Artopia
  • As Confusion Sets In
  • A Western Heart
  • Baghdad Burning
  • Barista
  • Bastards Inc.
  • Big Words
  • Bills Backers of Virginia
  • Birdparty
  • Bitchin' Monaro
  • Blithering Bunny
  • Blogjam
  • Boring Like A Drill
  • Brave Our Burbs
  • Catallaxy
  • Chapter 5
  • Chez Milady
  • Chicken or the egg
  • Clublife
  • Courting Disaster
  • Crazybrave
  • Culpepper Log
  • Culture Strain
  • Cunt's Corner
  • Currency Lad
  • Daily Flute
  • Dawei
  • Dead Guy, the cartoon
  • Dead Money
  • Eggsbaconchipsandbeans
  • EvilPundit
  • Ferret Nest
  • Flop Eared Mule
  • For Battle
  • Free North Korea
  • Galleycat
  • Gavin Dixon
  • Glorious Leader
  • Harleys, Cars, Girls and Guitars
  • Hecho En Mexico
  • Hog on ice
  • Hooch's Spot
  • Hungbunny
  • I Didn't Mean To, But...
  • Intergalactic Hussy
  • Jack The Ripper and Me
  • Jason Mulgrew
  • Jerry Pournelle
  • Khmer 440
  • Kick 'n Scream
  • Kong is King!
  • Knotted Paths
  • Kurdo's World
  • Landownunder
  • Luscious LaJuana
  • Madhab al-Hirfy
  • Major Anya
  • Man Of Lettuce
  • Mensa Barbie
  • Merawala Thoughts
  • Morsels from my meandering mind
  • Neanderpundit
  • Northcote Knob
  • Operation Eden
  • Paul & Carl's Daily Diatribe
  • People Who Need To Be Glassed
  • Post Secret
  • Prison Pete
  • Professor Bunyip
  • Random ruminations of an antisocial mind
  • Redneck review
  • Russian Marketing
  • Scary Personals
  • Sick, sad world
  • Skippy
  • Soul's road
  • Spreegirl
  • S'truth
  • Supermercado
  • Tavern Wench
  • Tequila Mockingbird
  • Texas Trifles
  • The Blues Blog
  • The Brisbane Window
  • The Dick List
  • The Fat Guy
  • The Line Of Contempt
  • The Public House
  • The ramblings of a redneck Diva
  • There Ain't No Sanity Clause
  • The Spin Starts Here
  • The Time Always Comes
  • Touch My Nibbles
  • Ubersportingpundit
  • Vitriolica Webb's Ite
  • Victim of Narcissism
  • V's spot
  • Waiterrant
  • Watchdog of the Wankers
  • Where Are My Socks?
  • Wicking
  • Yobbo
  • Yorkshire Soul
  • You Have Got To Be Kidding






  • Speedway Standings []
    2006 FIM FIAT VANS BRITISH SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 03.06.06
    1 2 CRUMP, Jason 25
    2 8 JONSSON, Andreas 20
    3 11 HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 18
    4 5 HANCOCK, Greg 16
    5 6 PEDERSEN, Bjarne 12
    6 1 RICKARDSSON, Tony 10
    7 13 ZAGAR, Matej 9
    8 9 NICHOLLS, Scott 8
    9 10 LINDBÄCK, Antonio 8
    10 7 GOLLOB, Tomasz 7
    11 3 ADAMS, Leigh 6
    12 12 RICHARDSON, Lee 5
    13 15 IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 5
    14 4 PEDERSEN, Nicki 4
    15 16 STEAD, Simon 3
    16 14 PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 3


    SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX 2006

    1st CRUMP, Jason 20 25 25 25 95
    2nd HANCOCK, Greg 5 20 20 16 61
    3rd PEDERSEN, Nicki 25 14 16 4 59
    4th GOLLOB, Tomasz 18 9 18 7 52
    5th HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 4 16 8 18 46
    6th JONSSON, Andreas 8 5 10 20 43
    7th ZAGAR, Matej 9 18 4 9 40
    8th RICKARDSSON, Tony 16 6 4 10 36
    9th ADAMS, Leigh 10 7 11 6 34
    10th NICHOLLS, Scott 9 9 5 8 31
    11th PEDERSEN, Bjarne 5 6 7 12 30
    12th LINDBÄCK, Antonio 9 2 6 8 25
    13th RICHARDSON, Lee 8 4 0 5 17
    14th IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 2 6 4 5 17
    15th PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 1 3 3 3 10
    16th LINDGREN, Fredrik - - 7 - 7
    17th KASPRZAK, Krzysztof - 6 - - 6
    18th STEAD, Simon - - - 3 3
    19th FERJAN, Matej 3 - - - 3





    Archives []





    Enter your email address below to subscribe to Arm The Insane!


    powered by Bloglet


    I should get one of those IM thingos.I got one of those MSN messenger things. Fucked if I know how it works, but. In the meantime try my new

  • email
  • address. Please.., I'm so lonely.


    I don't know what Clix is, but I'll give it a go.



    Every family needs a farmer


    Wednesday, November 16, 2005

    I am a machine

    A bloody good one, too. I started night shift last night. We've got the offsets hooked up and we're working up a lot of the newer dryland country so that we can put a grader board across it to fill in some melon holes and just generally smooth it out a bit. The last time we sprayed that country it nearly killed the poor old boomspray bouncing up and down; it'll make it easier on the headers, too. Because my boss is such a slave driving arsehole*, he made me work a few hours yesterday morning setting up the machine and giving the Young Bloke a few pointers on the efficient operation of same. That is, if by 'made me' you mean 'didn't argue when I volunteered'.
    So I didn't put my head down until about 11a.m., then the power went off at about 2p.m., meaning the electrickery powered air coldifying device ceased operations in support of the IR reform protests. In 35° heat. I woke up. I then proceeded to not go back to sleep when the sparks started flying again at 3p.m. On top of this (no, I'm not whinging, I'm just giving you the relevant information so that you can independantly arrive at the conclusion that I am indeed a machine.) I followed my usual pre-nightshift practise the previous night and sat up drinking beer and talking shit on the telling bone until around midnight.
    From the available data you should be able to deduce the precise amount of sleep I was able to sock away prior to night shift last night.
    3/5 of 5/8.
    For persons not familiar with the imperial system that works out to roughly fuck all in metric.
    Did that slow me down?
    Do I really need to answer that? I already told you that I was a machine and I'm hardly likely to write a post highlighting how piss-weak I am, now am I?
    I soldiered on through the bleak and stormy night and covered heaps of ground. More than heaps. Big mobs of acres. Even stuck to the Thruster Code of Ethics and left the machine in better condition than I found it, adjusting a few things here and there. I do feel a tad weary at the present moment in time, going forwards in a proactive manner.
    Never let it be said that sleep is impossible on nightshift. Once you've managed to convince your body that the new routine is going to be a routine, sleep comes just as naturally twelve hours later. Indeedy, I prefer nightshift to dayshift in the summer. I'd much rather be crawling over a broken machine by torchlight in the cool of the night than slogging it out in 40° heat with 2,349,725,845,711,047 flies in the middle of the day.
    As an aside, one brief nightshift story:
    Several years ago, when I had not been working in the cotton industry all that long, I got work on a corporate farm Like a lot of cotton farms, it started life as a sheep station and still had the old shearers quarters. It was a bloody good setup, but most of the other blokes there were kids and therefore, by definition, pigs. I don't like living in my own mess, let alone anyone else's, so I bought a caravan and set it up next to the quarters so I could use the shower and toilet. Like a lot of farms out this way, it had a gravel pit on it and, like most corporate farms, a lot of time and money was spent on maintaining the network of roads on the farm. I was working nightshift on irrigation when a couple scrapers turned up with a laser bucket to put a couple of new roads in and do some maintenance on the existing ones. I had no idea where they were going to put the new roads. I found out where at least one of them was going when I got up to get ready for work.
    When I went to bed, my caravan was on the side of an empty grass paddock. When I woke up, there was a completely finished gravel road through the paddock which passed within twenty-five metres of my van, complete with a driveway for me.
    I slept through the whole thing.

    *No, he isn't. That's known as ironic satire - or 'bullshit'.

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

    2,349,725,845,711,047 flies?

    Are you sure? It could have been 2,349,725,845,711,053 flies.

    11/16/2005 06:19:00 pm  
    Blogger Hooch said...

    Nah, those extra 6 flies were buzzing around in MY face at the time, I'm sure.

    fwnrpo -- f'r w'n Ahr (I) poo?

    11/16/2005 10:27:00 pm  
    Blogger adrian said...

    *does your boss read this ?

    Understand your partiality for night work, especially in that bloody heat. Tip for night sleep - make it dark and soundless. Plus an hour of blogging beforehand. Then a root on retiring. Failing all that, a pillow over the head.

    11/18/2005 01:49:00 am  
    Blogger Chief Bastard said...

    Try that tried and true remedy. A quick beer, follwoed by ripping the top off it. It being the 'fleshy gonk monster'.

    Voila! Soothing sleep. Works every time.

    11/19/2005 06:53:00 am  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How about the joy of a destroyed body clock that allows you to fall asleep anywhere at anytime.

    And falling asleep on motorbikes.

    11/22/2005 04:45:00 am  
    Blogger cantellya said...

    Ironic satire. I like that. Hi Dirk!

    11/22/2005 06:27:00 am  
    Blogger rat said...

    well obviously the machine is flat out doin his thing.
    we're thinking of ya dude. hope you're getting some inspiration whilst burning both ends of the candle.

    liked the driveway story

    11/27/2005 05:18:00 pm  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Perhaps The Machine has moved onto greener pastures or run out of fuel?

    12/01/2005 05:23:00 am  

    Post a Comment

    << Home